Koca said at the weekend that the “first wave reached the beaches” as Turks and foreign tourists take to the country’s famous turquoise coast, especially during the Muslim Eid al-Adha holiday last week.The outbreak appeared to have worsened in the capital Ankara, the second most populous city in Turkey after Istanbul.The Ankara Medical Chamber (ATO) on Tuesday said “pandemic hospitals and their intensive care units in Ankara were 100 percent full” and unable to take in new COVID-19 patients.But the Ankara provincial health directorate contradicted the statement, saying intensive care units were 63 percent full in the city and insisting the pandemic remained under control.One of the most affected regions is the southeast, especially the provinces of Diyarbakir, Mardin and Sanliurfa, according to the Turkish Medical Association (TTB).A senior TTB official, Halis Yerlikaya, told the Tele1 channel on Monday that intensive care units in public hospitals “had no space left” in the three provinces.Yerlikaya suggested the official figures were not correct, saying the number of daily cases in Diyarbakir was “around 300”, and approximately “300-350” in Sanliurfa. Turkey has expressed concern over the rising number of coronavirus cases as the daily infection toll exceeded 1,000 for the second day in a row on Wednesday.Ankara has eased most of the restrictions that were in place since the first case was recorded in March, rising to a peak of more than 5,000 daily infections in April.But after nearly a month of daily cases numbering around 900, Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said 1,178 infections were recorded in the past 24 hours. Topics : Koca urged citizens on Wednesday to take precautions to avoid further increases.”We’re CONCERNED about the increase in the number of cases, previously limited to some provinces, spreading in the coming days throughout the country,” he also said on Monday, which saw 995 confirmed cases.The next day Turkey recorded 1,083 infections.The total number of deaths now stands at 5,784 and infections at 236,112.
UUK said it had also tabled a proposal for a “lower cost” DC option, allowing staff to contribute 4% of salary rather than the current 8%. Employers would continue to contribute 18%.A UUK spokesperson said the proposal would help address the scheme’s shortfall while keeping contributions affordable for both staff and employers.The scheme reported an official deficit of around £5bn following its 2017 actuarial valuation, but other calculations have put the shortfall as high as £12bn-£17bn.It has said the cost of funding future pension benefits had increased by 35% and that contribution increases of six to seven percentage points could be required.Despite yesterday’s agreement UCU indicated that it would go ahead with strike action, which would affect 61 of 68 higher education establishments across the country, including Oxford and Cambridge universities. The union has maintained throughout the discussions that USS should seek to retain some form of DB accrual, and that concerns regarding the deficit were overblown.Union members voted overwhelmingly in favour of 14 days of strikes, the UCU said on Monday.UCU general secretary Sally Hunt said university staff would feel “utterly betrayed by their leaders” following the committee’s proposal.“Universities must be on notice that unless there are dramatic changes in their negotiators’ position then strike action will be arriving on campus next month,” she added.The UUK claimed the union’s proposal “would have increased financial contributions to unmanageable levels for employers and many employees”, upping staff payments by more than a third and adding £500m to the collective bill for employers.“Employer contributions have already risen by 30% over the last decade and further increases are not affordable,” the universities representative body stated.However, the vice-chancellors of two leading universities – Warwick and Loughborough – have voiced support for retaining an element of DB benefits and urged the negotiators to revisit their plans. UK universities have backed changes to the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) despite strong opposition from the sector’s main staff union.The Joint Negotiating Committee – made up of representatives from Universities UK (UUK) and the University and College Union (UCU) – announced a proposal yesterday to shift the scheme to defined contribution from 1 April 2019, in line with UUK’s initial proposal made last year.USS is currently a hybrid scheme, with a cap placed on defined benefit (DB) pension accrual.The latest proposal contains a commitment from the universities and the £60bn (€68.6bn) pension fund to consider reintroducing a DB guarantee if the scheme’s funding position has improved. It has been submitted to USS for consideration and will be subject to a university staff consultation starting in March.
U.S. shipbuilder Conrad Shipyard reported a net income of US$119,000 during the first quarter, due to losses on the LNG barge. The company’s profit dropped from the $2.6 million reported during the corresponding quarter in 2016, according to the quarterly report.Speaking of the results, Johnny Conrad, president and CEO said the company’s results reflect a difficult operating environment which is expected to continue through 2017.“In addition, our first quarter operating results were affected by losses on the LNG Barge,” he said, adding that despite these losses incurred on the construction of the LNG barge, the company is well positioned to benefit in the LNG marine-related construction in North America.Conrad Industries’ construction segment was adversely affected by a soft market for energy transportation, increased pricing pressure, and customer delays on large project orders.The company’s backlog was $183.0 million at March 31, 2017, compared to $216.5 million at December 31, 2016, and $189.9 million at March 31, 2016.
The 588MW Beatrice offshore wind farm in the UK has passed the Contracts for Difference (CfD) Operational Conditions Precedent (OCPs) for its second phase.The Low Carbon Contracts Company (LCCC) began allocating the CfD payments for the 336MW of the project’s second phase on 28 April.Beatrice joins four UK onshore wind farms that have passed all the OCPs in the latest allocation round.“I am delighted that these generators have passed their OCPs in line with the CFD requirements, together providing an additional 494.6MW of operational low carbon capacity for GB consumers. I look forward to further CfD projects coming through in the next few months,” said Neil McDermott, LCCC Chief Executive.The 588MW Beatrice offshore wind farm began receiving payments for Phase I from LCCC at the end of last year.The project is awaiting the last five out of the total 84 Siemens Gamesa 7MW turbines to be installed at the site 13km off the Caithness coast.
Share Tweet The First Phase of the Pointe Michel Sea Defense Project has began and from all reports is going smoothly.Assistant Surveyor of the Project Mr. Jacob informed Dominica Vibes News that the project is a much needed one for the community and he is certain that it will be greatly appreaciated.Click here to listen to Mr. Jacob: He also informed that they did not encounter any difficulties with the residents in term of relocating their businesses so as to allow commencement of the project.[nggallery id=41]Dominica Vibes News 89 Views no discussions Share LocalNews Phase I of the Pointe Michel Sea Defense Project begins by: – May 11, 2011 Sharing is caring! Share
If you were at the Batesville vs. New Castle basketball game recently, you will remember that New Castle was assessed a technical foul for taunting. Some of you might wonder what constitutes taunting on a basketball floor. The young man from New Castle got his technical because his teammate was just warned by the official for fist pumping after making a 3-pointer. Fist pumping in itself is not a technical unless you do it in the face of an opposing player. This act of taunting had been going on throughout the game. The officials will usually give one warning before they assess the technical, which they did in this case.Most taunting in basketball is with gesturing. Besides the fist pumping, players often will high-step back down the floor after making a basket. This is a form of “hot dogging”, and without saying anything, they suggest “I’m better than you, so there!” Language is a whole new area for technical fouls.In football, taunting is also usually some form of “in your face” gesture and normally is meant to say “I’m tougher than you.”
Loading… Former Ivory Coast midfielder, Yaya Toure, has said the current Nigeria squad has a bright future and can rule the continent again. Super Eagles 2018 World Cup jersey in Russia never to carry last in fashion Toure believed the emergence of new stars like Wilfred Ndidi, Victor Osimhen, Simon Moses will help the three-time African champions retain their place among the best countries in Africa. “Nigeria has some interesting players coming through like Moses Simon, Victor Osimhen, Wilfred Ndidi, and many more. They have always been a force in Africa and the talents coming through will make them better in the future”. He said.Advertisement Toure concluded that African teams can dominate the world if proper structures are put in place to help the team achieve success. Toure is regarded as one of the best midfield players of his generation, he played for and won titles with European clubs like Barcelona, Manchester City, and Olympiakos. read also:Vasco De Gama presidential contestant vows to hire Yaya Toure He also won the African cup of Nations with the Elephants of Cote D’Ivore before his retirement from the National team. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
Press Association Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers hopes the “massive lift” the impending return of suspended striker Luis Suarez will bring can offset the loss of creative midfielder Philippe Coutinho. With Coutinho having provided much of the Reds’ attacking invention in an unbeaten league run, spanning two seasons, of 12 matches the Reds should have a ready-made substitute raring to go. “He (Suarez) has just been working hard and he has done some games behind closed doors,” said Rodgers. “He serves the last of his ban at the weekend and we will talk more next week when he’s available. “Any team from next week on, once he is available, will be a massive lift.” The loss of Coutinho will impact on Liverpool to some degree as the playmaker has been at the heart of much of their best attacking play both this season and towards the end of last. He is highly rated by Rodgers, who signed him from Inter Milan for £8.5million in January, and although the manager is confident he can find someone to play in his place it is unlikely to be a like-for-like replacement. “Obviously Philippe is one of the best number 10s in the league; how he plays in between the lines, how he finds space on the back of the midfield players, his incisive passing and the weight of his passing is exceptional,” said the Reds boss. “That is what has made him a big star in the league so far but we have other players who have those qualities who maybe play in different positions and that is something we will look at. The 21-year-old Brazilian on Thursday had surgery on a shoulder injury sustained in Monday’s draw at Swansea and is expected to be sidelined until the end of October. Suarez’s 10-match ban for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic will end after the visit of Southampton this weekend and the Uruguay international will go straight into contention for a potentially-explosive Capital One Cup tie at Manchester United on Wednesday. “We have players who are flexible; that was my idea for the top end of the field and they are not nailed down to one position. “We have players who are capable of playing in those roles. Each individual player brings his own quality to the position but because of the types of players we bring in a lot of them will be technically gifted.” Rodgers noticed a difference in their play during the short period Liverpool played without Coutinho at the Liberty Stadium, where the Brazilian was injured in a fall after a tackle by Ashley Williams although no blame was attached to the Swansea defender. “The challenge was probably a bit clumsy but it was actually more the fall that did the damage,” said Rodgers. “In those scenarios the bone may be bruised but unfortunately for Philippe the bone came through the muscle – that’s what the pain was and why the operation was needed. “It’s unfortunate because he was a really pivotal player for us in the game. “When he went, we lost that connection between our midfield and the front line, it disrupted our balance a bit. “These things happen in football. Hopefully he’ll recover quickly and come back to us in good shape.” Rodgers, who hopes to have defender Daniel Agger back at the weekend after a side strain, has also encouraged fans who were present at the Hillsborough disaster to take up the invitation issued by the Independent Police Complaints Commission to come forward to help the new inquiry into the 1989 tragedy. “I know that at the time a lot of statements were taken and I would ask those supporters that had witness statements taken to get in touch with the IPCC,” he said. “On our website there is an opportunity to be directed in the right route. “It’s very important for the families of all the victims of Hillsborough and for the fight for justice, that we can get all those statements. “It’s something that will continue their fight for justice.”
Everton defender Leighton Baines admits the fresh start and the challenges posed by manager Roberto Martinez persuaded him to commit his long-term future to the club. The England left-back signed a new four-year deal last week to end speculation about him moving to Manchester United to be reunited with former Everton boss David Moyes, who had failed with a summer move for the 29-year-old. Ironically Moyes’ departure brought Martinez to the club from Wigan and his new approach helped make up Baines’ mind. “It was great to sign and commit to the club and put everything else to bed and be able to focus on football and the future – my future and the club’s future,” Baines told evertontv. “It has been really positive for the most part this season and I’ve been really impressed with the manager’s approach to everything. “The various aspects to what he does and the way we approach games is asking new questions of all of us, whether you’ve been here a few months or a few years. “It is challenging and has freshened the place up. It was a fresh start for all of us and it was exciting because it was such a change and that was a big part of it.” Martinez has implemented a passing philosophy and encouraged his players to enjoy more freedom and have more possession of the ball. That more liberated approach contrasts with Moyes’ more pragmatic tactics and it has brought out the best in the players. Everton currently sit fifth, just two points behind city neighbours Liverpool, and still in with a real chance of Champions League qualification. Baines believes the return of European football, coupled with ending a trophyless run stretching back to 1995, have to be the club’s two main aims and he believes Martinez’s approach make success in both a reality. “When you change manager and the previous manager has done a really good job there are going to be question marks but he’s answered a lot of questions already,” said the defender of Martinez, who against the odds won the FA Cup with Wigan last season. Everton face a fifth-round tie against another of Martinez’s former clubs, Swansea, next weekend. “People might have viewed this season as transitional and we may have got away with it if it hadn’t gone great,” Baines said. “But the fact is the lads have done really well, applying those different aspects of the game, and we’ve got some really good performances and results. “It is the same game just a slightly new method and he is trying to make us well-drilled in it. “It is still a work in progress because every time we get comfortable with certain aspects he’ll start to introduce something else, which is sensible because if you come in and throw everything into the one pan and try to get it all going at the same time it maybe doesn’t work out. “He is introducing things and we are slowly improving as a team. “The manager wants us to have that confidence on the pitch, a bit more arrogance on the ball, and that is something he is trying to instil into the players and that comes with performances and results. “We would like to improve again and give ourselves the best chance of getting back into European football. “There is no limit if you can do it well; it is a style all the top teams in Europe play so we have to up our level as players to try to execute it. “If we managed to qualify for Europe then the style we play immediately translates to fitting in with European football, we don’t need to adapt. “Getting back into Europe is a major goal. The cup competitions have always been important to us but it would be huge to bring that sort of success back to the club. “For a club as well supported as Everton to be starved of that success makes everyone hungry and everyone is chomping at the bit to work towards that.” Press Association
The 25-year-old returned to Merseyside after spending most of the last four months in the United States, where he underwent an operation in April. Press Association Sport understands Sturridge began training again at the club’s Melwood base on Monday but he is currently working to an individual plan. While that does involve some ball work, Sturridge has yet to rejoin the main squad. When Sturridge underwent surgery his return to competitive action was predicted to be around October but earlier this month manager Brendan Rodgers said he hoped the striker would be back by early September. Sturridge made only 18 appearances last season after being plagued by thigh, calf and hip problems and while he has been away rehabilitating, Rodgers has spent £32million on Aston Villa’s Christian Benteke, who has played every minute of the Premier League campaign so far and opened his account with a controversial winner against Bournemouth last week. Two other new summer recruits – full-backs Nathaniel Clyne and Joe Gomez – have also settled in well and impressed first-team coach Gary McAllister. “For two guys that have just arrived at the club, where the expectation level will be way above what they’ve experienced before, they already look as though they’ve been here a long, long time,” he told liverpoolfc.com. “The fortunate thing is Liverpool have got them right at the start of hopefully what can be long, long careers here. “You don’t want to put pressure on players. Nathaniel obviously has already made it through to the international set-up and Joe Gomez has in the younger age groups, but they both look as though they will go on to play (regularly) at that level comfortably. “They’re keen to learn and very young – age is on their side, definitely.” Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge’s recovery programme has been stepped up with the England international set to complete a full week of training. Press Association