A Customs and Border Protection agent watching surveillance footage. James Martin/CNET If you’re taking a trip in to or out of the US, border agents currently have free rein to search through your digital devices. Unlike police, agents don’t need a warrant to look through your phones, laptops and other electronics. Two US senators are hoping to change that with a bipartisan bill. Sen. Ron Wyden, a Democrat from Oregon, and Sen. Rand Paul, a Republican from Kentucky, on Wednesday introduced the Protecting Data at the Border Act, which would require agents to obtain a warrant before they can search Americans’ devices at the border. The number of electronic searches at the border has spiked in the last four years. In 2018, the Department of Homeland Security conducted more than 33,000 searches on devices, compared with 4,764 searches in 2015. Customs and Border Protection declined to comment.”The border is quickly becoming a rights-free zone for Americans who travel. The government shouldn’t be able to review your whole digital life simply because you went on vacation, or had to travel for work,” Wyden said in a statement. The bill is also being introduced in the House of Representatives by a group of Democrats. Wyden and Paul introduced the same bill in 2017. Since then, warrantless device searches at the border increased by 10 percent.Law enforcement agencies have been taking advantage of the warrantless searches at the border, using the information discovered in unrelated court cases, the American Civil Liberties Union discovered through its related lawsuit against the DHS. Until a court makes a decision, the agency is still allowed to conduct these searches without a warrant. “Respecting civil liberties and our Constitution actually strengthens our national security, and Americans should not be forced to surrender their rights or privacy at the border,” Paul said. “Our bill will put an end to these intrusive government searches and uphold the fundamental protections of the Fourth Amendment.” Border wall dividing homes and habitat Politics Security 1 Now playing: Watch this: 2:09 Share your voice Comment Tags
A number of those threats included screen grabs from news stories about murders, plane crashes, and other violent incidents, while others featured gory imagery of decapitated animals. “Not option no way out silence no shots, no traces like never existed,” the suspect wrote in a tweet directed at Warren. Other tweets ended with the line “Hug your loved ones real close every time you leave your home.”Fox News contributor Rochelle Ritchie said Friday that she reported such a tweet by the suspect earlier this month — only to be told by Twitter that “there was no violation of the Twitter Rules against abusive behavior.” Popular on Variety CREDIT: Screenshot: Twitter Twitter responded to this late Friday evening, tweeting that it made a mistake when it rejected the report. “The tweet clearly violated our rules and should have been removed,” the company said in a tweet. “We are deeply sorry for that error.”In a separate incident, the suspect apparently posted what appeared to be the home address of George Soros on Twitter, which also represents a clear violation of the company’s rules.“We want Twitter to be a place where people feel safe, and we know we have lot of work to do,” the company concluded Friday night.Update: This post was updated multiple times throughout the day following the suspension of Sayoc’s Twitter accounts as well as a statement made by the company late Friday. Twitter accounts linked to the man arrested for allegedly sending mail bombs to an ever-growing list of Trump critics previously threatened a number of celebrities and politicians on Twitter. In at least one case, the social media company seems to have refused to take steps against such a threat.A Twitter spokesperson declined to comment on Friday, referring to the issue as “an ongoing law enforcement investigation.” The company suspended two accounts associated with the suspect Friday afternoon, and on Friday night tweeted that it was “deeply sorry” for not having acted earlier.Authorities identified the suspect of the mail bombing campaign as Cesar Altieri Sayoc, a Florida resident. Soon after the arrest, Twitter users began to unearth two accounts featuring selfies of the suspect, including a video that was likely taken at a Trump rally. Sayoc apparently used these accounts to directly threaten a number of actors and politicians, including Jim Carrey, Ron Howard, Rob Reiner, George Soros, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, and others. ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15
The Railway Budget proposals, presented by Union Minister Suresh Prabhu in Parliament on Thursday, proposed a hike in freight rates for 12 commodities in the range of 0.8 per cent to 10 per cent.The increase in freight charges by 10 per cent on urea is also expected to add to the subsidy burden. “With the increase in freight, the subsidy paid for movement of urea will increase by another Rs 300 crore from current level of Rs 3,000 crore,” Fertiliser Association of India (FAI) DG Satish Chander said. Also Read – I-T issues 17-point checklist to trace unaccounted DeMO cashThe proposed freight hike for cement, coal, iron and steel, grains & pulses, groundnut oil, LPG and kerosene is 2.7 per cent, 6.3 per cent, 0.8 per cent, 10 per cent, 2.1 per cent, 0.8 per cent and 0.8 per cent respectively. “Our cost of production will go up in the range between Rs 2 and Rs 4 per bag of 50 kg cement,” Dalmia Bharat Cement Group CEO Mohendra Singi said. When asked whether the company would raise the prices, he said: “The price is a factor of demand and supply, so we will take a call on this later.” Further, a leading cement maker said the prices of cement bags may go up in the range of between Rs 5 and Rs 10 per bag following the hike in freight rate on coal, steel and cement. Meanwhile, there was a mixed response from steel companies which said the proposed Rs 8.5 lakh crore investment in Railways in the next five years would spur demand for steel, but that they were a bit disappointed as the Minister did not lower freight rates despite lower diesel prices now. Also Read – Lanka launches ambitious tourism programme to woo Indian tourists“The freight hike in the Budget on iron and steel will have little impact on us,” spokesperson of a leading steel firm said. Prabhu has also proposed to raise freight rates for iron ore meant for domestic use by 0.8 per cent. On urea, Fertiliser Minister Ananth Kumar said despite the increase in freight rates, there will not be any increase in urea prices.“We will continue to provide urea at the same rate of Rs 5,360 per tonne. It will only increase subsidy on urea”. The Railway Minister did not term the freight increase in some commodities as a hike, saying it is part of the ongoing re-classification of commodities that will reduce freight rates in certain sectors and may increase in others. Minister of State for Railways, Manoj Sinha, said that there will not be any increase in urea prices for farmers. However, for limestone, dolomite & manganese and speed diesel oil, the rates have been reduced by 0.3 per cent and 1 per cent respectively. The Railways Minister has also proposed to raise the base freight rates by up to 10 per cent.
Punter found hiding in bushes Driver named following fatal collision Police search for missing woman Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailFirefighters were called after a bus crashed into a lamppost near a busy hospital this afternoon. A fire crew from Crewe were called to Smithy Lane, near Leighton Hospital, just after 2.30pm today (Monday July 15). Some fuel leaked from the vehicle following the collision. A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “Fire crews were called to a bus crash on Smithy Lane, Crewe. The bus had collided with a lamppost and began leaking fuel. “Firefighters used absorbent pads to mop up the fuel and then used ratchet straps and a v-strut stabiliser to stabilise the lamppost.” It is unclear if anyone was hurt as a result of the accident. Read MoreTop stories on StokeonTrentLive Dad slams ‘disgusting’ hospital window Follow StokeonTrentLive Download our app – You can download our free app for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store , or get the Android version from Google Play . Follow StokeonTrentLive on Facebook – Like our Facebook page to get the latest news in your feed and join in the lively discussions in the comments. Click here to give it a like! Follow us on Twitter – For breaking news and the latest stories, click here to follow SOTLive on Twitter . Follow us on Instagram – Featuring pictures past and present from across Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire & South Cheshire – and if you tag us in your posts, we could repost your picture on our page! We also put the latest news in our Instagram Stories. Click here to follow StokeonTrentLive on Instagram .