Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has lodged an appeal against his six-year ban from football for ethics violations, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) announced on Thursday.The Lausanne-based organisation said the 80-year-old Swiss wanted to overturn last month’s decision by the appeals committee of world football’s ruling body FIFA.Blatter and Michel Platini, president of European football’s governing body UEFA, were banned over a payment of two million Swiss francs ($2 million) made by FIFA to the Frenchman in 2011, with Blatter’s approval, for work done a decade earlier.Both men have denied any wrong-doing. Blatter has vowed to “go to the end of my life to show that I’m innocent”.Platini filed a similar appeal against his suspension earlier this month. CAS said Blatter and FIFA’s appeals committee would exchange written submissions, with a three-arbitrator panel to be created before a hearing is held.FIFA is seeking to turn the page on a long-running scandal that escalated in 2015 when police swooped on a luxury Zurich hotel to arrest football officials accused by US federal prosecutors of corruption.Dozens of people have since been charged in investigations that have spanned five continents. Swiss Gianni Infantino, the former UEFA general secretary, was elected president of FIFA last month and pledged to refocus the organisation on football rather than corruption and litigation.
2 Earlier this month, the company said it’ll prompt European users of its Android operating system to choose their own search engine from 2020, after the European Commission’s determination last year that Google could be hampering consumer choice by demanding that its own apps and services must be the preinstalled, default options on Android phones. This saw Google getting slapped with a record 4.34 billion euro ($5 billion) antitrust fine, which it’s appealing.In the US, the Department of Justice last month said it’s opening an antitrust probe into tech giants, including Google parent company Alphabet, to examine their market power.First published at 4:11 a.m. PT.Updated at 6:45 a.m. PT: Adds EC confirmation about the letter. 1:49 Share your voice Google wants to make your job search easier Internet Services Google noted in its own emailed statement that it’s “worked with jobs providers” to improve its search function.”Any provider — from individual employers to job listing platforms — can use this feature in search, and many of them have seen a significant increase in the number of job applications they receive. Since launch, we’ve made a number of changes to address feedback in Europe,” a Google spokesperson wrote.”These changes include testing a new choice carousel at the top of the unit, which links directly to job sites, and linking directly to job offers when they only exist on a single site. Job seekers can decide which result or experience is most relevant for them.” Google’s 2-year-old job search service drew an antitrust complaint in the EU. Budrul Chukrut/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images Google faces another antitrust allegation in the European Union — this time focused on its job search service. A group of 23 job search websites sent a letter to EU competition commissioner Margrethe Vestager saying the search giant abused its dominant position at their expense, according to Reuters.The company launched the service in 2017, and later amped it up by adding information on salary and the ability to search for jobs by location.The rival companies alleged that Google’s putting a large widget for its service at the top of people’s job searches is unfair because it doesn’t have to spend any money marketing the service, while traditional job search companies do. They asked Vestager to temporarily order Google to stop doing this while she looks into its practices, Reuters reported.”We confirm we have received the letter and we will assess it,” a European Commission spokesperson wrote an emailed statement. Comments Now playing: Watch this: The wildest things Google owns (pictures) Tags 33 Photos Antitrust Google
Indian stock markets ended trading on Monday with gains, as better-than-expected fourth quarter earnings and the passage last Friday of a landmark economic legislation lifted sentiments. The S&P BSE Sensex gained 460 points, or 1.82 percent, to close at 25,687 while the NSE Nifty ended the day at 7,866, up 132 points, or 1.71 percent.The Sensex rally was led by Bajaj Auto, followed by Axis Bank, ICICI Bank and HDFC. Stocks that lost included Dr Reddy’s Labs, Hindustan Unilever and Tata Steel.The biggest gainer among BSE500 companies was Muthoot Finance. Shares of cigarette maker ITC gained on the company resuming production. Godfrey Phillips also ended in the green. On the Nifty, the biggest gainer was Bosch, followed by Zee Ltd. and Bajaj Auto.The Indian rupee however, closed with a loss of 4 paise at 66.59 to the U.S. dollar after opening at 66.51. Foreign institutional investors were net buyers of Indian equities worth Rs. 224 crore, according to provisional data provided by the National Stock Exchange (NSE).Bankruptcy BillThe Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2015 passed by the Lower House (Lok Sabha) last week is being seen as a landmark legislation that provides for time-bound processes for resolving insolvency-related disputes of companies and individuals. “These processes will be completed within 180 days. If insolvency cannot be resolved, the assets of the borrowers may be sold to repay creditors. The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) will adjudicate insolvency resolution for companies. The Debt Recovery Tribunal (DRT) will adjudicate insolvency resolution for individuals,” PRS Legislative Research, a not-for-profit organisation that provides updates on Indian legislations, said in an update.The Bill now needs to be passed by the Upper House (Rajya Sabha).Markets would now be awaiting the passage of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Bill, which has already been cleared by the Lok Sabha. The legislation is aimed at creating an unified indirect tax architecture across the country.
The obsession among Indians with anything that people in the West do, has to stop, says young and popular designer Masaba Gupta, who hopes originality gets a fillip in the country.“We, as a nation, are generally very obsessed with the West and anything that they do. Anything that’s a fad, be it in garments or make-up looks, it immediately translates here,” said Masaba.The new-age designer, a former fashion director at the luxury label Satya Paul, says “People should speak up” against designers who blantantly copy others both from India and the West. “There are so many designers who take India as an inspiration, internationally and do such amazing things…I think people and the media should openly speak up about designers who are copying others because it’s very important that they do not give them that stamp of approval,” she added. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Masaba especially feels that Lebanese fashion designer Zuhair Murad, who is famous for making gowns, and national designers like Gaurav Gupta and Tarun Tahiliani, who have brought the concept of sari gowns on the runway, have been aped the most. She feels designers who copy “should not even get a place in fashion weeks”.“I think for the layman, it’s not plagiarism…for them it is a similar outfit. But people who are in fashion and people who understand it, should stand up and voice it out,” added the designer. Known for her extraordinary and quirky prints like the lipstick, cow and camera print, which have been one of the most copied print in Indian fashion market, Masaba said it is copying the silhouettes that bothers her more than anyone copying her designs. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with Netflix“I get irritated when people copy my silhouettes…I do not get irritated when people copy my prints because that’s something I cannot control. It is very easy to copy my prints. You can just take a photograph here on the runway and replicate it in the next 10 days. You will have many fabrics in my print, but silhouettes is something original and that should not be copied. But I think designers should not copy the other designers’ style or print,” she said. Masaba, the daughter of actor Neena Gupta and cricket legend Vivian Richards, had launched her eponymous label in July 2009. Talking about how she came up with her famous quirky prints, the 26-year-old said: “I do not think I know anything else… I just know how to take objects, motifs, a certain theme and just turn it around and make it really fun.” Masaba feels that the youth “are biggest influencers of fashion today” and so she constantly tries to make something that can “define their style statement”.
Kolkata: A private hospital at Panchasayar was allegedly ransacked by the family members of an 83-year-old patient who died due to cardiac arrest on Monday morning. Later, police intervened and detained three relatives of the patient The hospital authority lodged a complaint at Panchasayar Police Station.According to hospital authorities, Radharani Debnath was admitted to the hospital on Sunday evening. Sources informed that Debnath was a chronic cardiac patient. Debnath was brought to the emergency with cardiac issues and septicemia. As no bed at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) was available, she was kept under observation in the emergency ward. In the wee hours of Monday, Debnath suffered a cardiac arrest. She was immediately put on ventilation. Approximately, after three hours she suffered another cardiac arrest and passed away. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life”The patient suffered two cardiac arrests. The first was at 5.30 am after which we were able to resuscitate her but she needed ventilator support and a temporary pace-maker. We lost her after the second attack around 8.30 am. We tried to inform the family after the first attack but the phone number given to us was found switched off. We were able to reach them around 8.30 am after several attempts and told them to reach the hospital as soon as possible,” said Sudipta Mitra, Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the hospital. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedAfter getting the call from hospital, Debnath’s family members reached the hospital and found that she was no more. Immediately, they allegedly started hurling expletives at duty doctors and nurses. Later, some of them entered the emergency ward and started ransacking while other patients being admitted. Several computers, chairs and tables got damaged. “Around 25 men entered the emergency ward and started throwing the computers. They were trying to beat us and the on-duty nurses despite several critical patients being treated at that time. We somehow managed to get out of there and took shelter in another room,” said an on-duty doctor of the hospital. Panchasayar Police Station was immediately informed. Upon receiving the information, police reached the hospital and were able to disperse the mob. Later, three persons were detained. The relatives of the patient denied the charges made against them. According to Debnath’s daughter, Indrani Roy Chowdhury, hospital authorities did not inform them about the critical situation of her mother. “We were not informed about her health condition. She also alleged that the hospital staff had attacked and beat up her family members,” said Indrani. But the hospital authorities denied such allegations made by Indrani.
Kolkata: The Kolkata Municipal Corporation kicks off its sterilisation and vaccination drive across all state government hospitals inthe city. The drive began on Thursday with the civic body picking up 20 dogs from RG Kar Medical College Hospital and another 15 from Calcutta Medical College and Hospital for sterilisation. “The animals will be sterilised in our dog pounds and will be put back at the same place after seven to 10 days. We have also vaccinated a number of stray dogs found inside Medical College and RG Kar,” said Deputy Mayor Atin Ghosh, who also holds the charge of KMC’s Health department. The civic body is expected to conduct a vaccination camp at NRS on Friday afternoon. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedIn the wake NRS puppy incident, KMC officials had sent letters to all state government hospitals in the city intending to sterilize and vaccinate campus dogs to keep their birth in check and prevent rabies. The hospitals across the state attract dogs from the nearby areas because of the uneaten food being dumped in vats kept inside hospitals premises. Mayor Firhad Hakim recently held a meeting with the Director General (Civil) and the Director General (Health) and gave them necessary instructions to fast track the process of giving a facelift to its two existing dog pounds at Dhapa and Entally so that around 1,000 animals can be sterilised on a daily basis. He assured that there won’t be any constraint of funds and said the state government has already allocated Rs 3 crore for the same.
Tags: Oceania Cruises Share MIAMI — Oceania Cruises is offering a flight upgrade special as part of its signature ‘OLife Choice’ package.Starting at US$149 extra, the upgrade offer allows guests to secure premium economy seats for over 100 prime European sailings in 2018.When booking a cruise, guests can choose to strictly pay the price for the sailing or purchase the ‘OLife Choice’ package, which includes free unlimited Internet, airfare (where applicable), bonus savings and the choice of one of the following: free shore excursions, free house beverage package, or shipboard credit.The flight upgrade promotion is offered to guests in all stateroom categories, from economical inside staterooms to the lavish Owner’s Suites, and carriers include (but are not limited to) British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Scandinavian Airlines, Air Canada, and Icelandair. Pending the airline, travelers can take advantage of priority boarding, extra luggage allowance, spacious seats with abundant legroom, full meal and bar service, and personal entertainment systems.More news: Help Princess Cruises break the world record for largest vow renewal at seaTo reserve the special, bookings must be made by June 30, and capacity is limited. Additionally, the carrier and routing are at the discretion of Oceania Cruises. Oceania announces flight upgrade special until June 30 Posted by Travelweek Group Thursday, June 1, 2017 << Previous PostNext Post >>