Tags 10 Phones Share your voice Comments Rumors Sprint T-Mobile T-Mobile and Sprint’s merger may have hit another government snag. Josh Miller/CNET T-Mobile and Sprint have hit another government roadblock in their quest to merge. A group of 10 state attorneys general, led by New York Attorney General Letitia James and California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, filed a multistate lawsuit Monday to stop the pending $26 billion deal. The antitrust lawsuit claims that the merger would “deprive consumers of the benefits of competition and drive up prices for cellphone services.” The suit was filed in New York federal court in coordination with Colorado, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Connecticut, Virginia, and Wisconsin, the New York attorney general’s office announced. “The T-Mobile and Sprint merger would not only cause irreparable harm to mobile subscribers nationwide by cutting access to affordable, reliable wireless service for millions of Americans, but would particularly affect lower-income and minority communities here in New York and in urban areas across the country,” New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement. “That’s why we are going to court to stop this merger and protect our consumers, because this is exactly the sort of consumer-harming, job-killing megamerger our antitrust laws were designed to prevent.” T-Mobile and Sprint did not immediately respond to a CNET request for comment. In a press conference, James said that by opposing the deal the attorneys general are “standing up for consumers, standing up for economic development and standing up innovation and standing up for lower prices.” James did, however, say that her office has reached out to the Department of Justice, T-Mobile and Sprint and that “negotiations are ongoing.” Reuters first reported that the 10 attorneys general were looking to block the deal. Since being announced last year, T-Mobile’s push to merge with Sprint has been met with strong government pushback over concerns it would harm competition. In February, nine Senate Democrats signed a letter addressed to Federal Communications Commission chairman Ajit Pai urging the agency to block the deal, writing that the merger is “likely to raise prices for consumers, harm workers, stifle competition, exacerbate the digital divide, and undermine innovation.” Several presidential candidates signed off on the letter, including Sens. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Bernie Sanders of Vermont, and Cory Booker of New Jersey. House Democrats, led by freshman congresswoman Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, followed suit shortly thereafter by sending a similar letter to Pai and Department of Justice head Makan Delrahim outlining their opposition to the deal, stressing how it would “disproportionately hurt lower-income people and communities of color.” That letter was signed by 36 other representatives. In May Pai and the FCC gave a thumbs up to the deal with the chairman touting the deal’s potential improvements for 5G network deployment and increasing coverage in rural America. The DOJ has yet to rule, though the staff of the department has recommended that the agency sue to stop the deal. James said the litigation will continue even if the DOJ approves the merger. “DOJ and FCC have broad standards,” James told reporters. “We are viewing this primarily through the lens of competition, prices, innovation… as a result of our review, based upon the law, we’ve come to a determination that it is a violation of antitrust laws.” T-Mobile and Sprint have a deadline of July 29 to complete their merger. Update, 10 a.m. PT: Adds New York attorney general comment.Update, 10:26 a.m. PT: The New York attorney general’s office clarified that Connecticut, not Nevada, had participated in the lawsuit. Update, 1:02 p.m. PT: Adds additional comment from the New York attorney general.
Here is the first look poster from Puneeth Rajkumar’s Yuva Rathnaa.PR HandoutPuneeth Rajkumar is turning a year older on Sunday, 17 March as he celebrates his 44th birthday on Sunday, 17 March. To coincide with the birthday celebration, the first look from his upcoming movie Yuva Rathnaa and the motion poster of his other movie James have been released.Yuva Rathnaa The first look of Yuva Rathnaa was launched at 11 pm on 16 March. Puneeth Rajkumar has sported simple yet powerful look. The intensity in his body language makes one wonder whether he is playing the role of a cop. The Huli Vesha artists around him further gives an impression of whether the story is set in Dakshina Kannada district where the unique form of folk culture is found. Puneeth Rajkumar, Santhosh Ananddramm and Hombale Films, which had delivered blockbuster in the form of Raajakumara, are joining hands again in Yuva Rathnaa. It is a youthful entertainer which is aimed at mass and family audience. Sayyeshaa is making her Sandalwood debut with Yuva Rathnaa.James The Sandalwood’s Power Star has collaborated with Chethan Kumar for the first time. It is said to be an action thriller which is a Bond movie, produced by Kishore Pathikonda. The movie will commence once Puneeth Rajkumar wraps up the shooting of Yuva rathnaa.The motion poster from the movie was launched at 11 am on Sunday. Vijetha Krishna has scored the music for the promotional video, while director Chethan Kumar himself has written the lyrics. Find it below: Currently, Chethan Kumar is busy with Sriimurali’s Bharaate.Nata Sarvabhouma If it is not enough, Pavan Wadeyar, director of Nata Sarvabhouma, is coming up with a special song on Appu. The introduction song of Puneeth Rajkumar from the movie will be released with a fresh set of lyrics.Meanwhile, Puneeth Rajkumar, like every year, will not be taking part in mid-night celebration of the fans rather he will be returning only on Sunday morning. He has requested his fans to not spend money on cakes and gift items this time.The actor has stated that their love and affection are enough for him. Puneeth Rajkumar in Chethan Kumar’s James.PR Handout
4g networkMobile phone operators were charging between Tk 100 and Tk 110 for upgrading a SIM to Fourth-Generation (4G) network services.The operators on Tuesday said they were taking Tk 100 as replacement tax imposed by the National Board of Revenue, Bangladesh.But experts said there can be no justification to charge Tk 100 as customers had already paid all types of tax when they bought the SIMs.This time a customer is not buying a new SIM, they are just upgrading the SIM instead, the experts pointed out.Prothom Alo investigations found that mobile phone operator Grameenphone was charging Tk 110 while RobiAxiata and Banglalink were taking Tk 100 for upgrading a SIM to 4G services.The mobile operators were not taking any money from their ‘special customers’ like Grameenphone Star, Robi Dhannabad and Banglalink Priyojon package holders.The operators also said they were paying the money to NBR on behalf of their ‘special customers’.The customers were provided with extra facilities as part of their business strategy, the operators added.Grameenphone’s head of corporate affairs Mahmud Hossain told ProthomAlo that the operator was taking Tk 100 on behalf of the government.And a customer is being given 1.5 gigabyte internet data and service for Tk 10, Mahmud Hossain added. Telecommunication research institute Learn Asia’s researcher Abu Sayed Khan told ProthomAlo that the variation in charges suggests discrimination.That means those who are rich are being awarded while the poor are being charged. “This is unacceptable.”“I didn’t know the special discount for certain customers. No discriminative policy is acceptable. I’ll tell the BTRC to take action in this regard.”The tax imposed by the NBR will be discussed with finance minister to revise the decision, the minister added.Bangladesh has entered a new era with launching 4G services in the country.Earlier on Tuesday, the mobile phone operators launched the 4G services across the country through several programmes in Dhaka, Chittagong and Khulna.*The article originally published in Prothom Alo print edition has been rewritten in English by Toriqul Islam.
The Railway Budget proposals, presented by Union Minister Suresh Prabhu in Parliament on Thursday, proposed a hike in freight rates for 12 commodities in the range of 0.8 per cent to 10 per cent.The increase in freight charges by 10 per cent on urea is also expected to add to the subsidy burden. “With the increase in freight, the subsidy paid for movement of urea will increase by another Rs 300 crore from current level of Rs 3,000 crore,” Fertiliser Association of India (FAI) DG Satish Chander said. Also Read – I-T issues 17-point checklist to trace unaccounted DeMO cashThe proposed freight hike for cement, coal, iron and steel, grains & pulses, groundnut oil, LPG and kerosene is 2.7 per cent, 6.3 per cent, 0.8 per cent, 10 per cent, 2.1 per cent, 0.8 per cent and 0.8 per cent respectively. “Our cost of production will go up in the range between Rs 2 and Rs 4 per bag of 50 kg cement,” Dalmia Bharat Cement Group CEO Mohendra Singi said. When asked whether the company would raise the prices, he said: “The price is a factor of demand and supply, so we will take a call on this later.” Further, a leading cement maker said the prices of cement bags may go up in the range of between Rs 5 and Rs 10 per bag following the hike in freight rate on coal, steel and cement. Meanwhile, there was a mixed response from steel companies which said the proposed Rs 8.5 lakh crore investment in Railways in the next five years would spur demand for steel, but that they were a bit disappointed as the Minister did not lower freight rates despite lower diesel prices now. Also Read – Lanka launches ambitious tourism programme to woo Indian tourists“The freight hike in the Budget on iron and steel will have little impact on us,” spokesperson of a leading steel firm said. Prabhu has also proposed to raise freight rates for iron ore meant for domestic use by 0.8 per cent. On urea, Fertiliser Minister Ananth Kumar said despite the increase in freight rates, there will not be any increase in urea prices.“We will continue to provide urea at the same rate of Rs 5,360 per tonne. It will only increase subsidy on urea”. The Railway Minister did not term the freight increase in some commodities as a hike, saying it is part of the ongoing re-classification of commodities that will reduce freight rates in certain sectors and may increase in others. Minister of State for Railways, Manoj Sinha, said that there will not be any increase in urea prices for farmers. However, for limestone, dolomite & manganese and speed diesel oil, the rates have been reduced by 0.3 per cent and 1 per cent respectively. The Railways Minister has also proposed to raise the base freight rates by up to 10 per cent.
Tags: Oceania Cruises Share MIAMI — Oceania Cruises is offering a flight upgrade special as part of its signature ‘OLife Choice’ package.Starting at US$149 extra, the upgrade offer allows guests to secure premium economy seats for over 100 prime European sailings in 2018.When booking a cruise, guests can choose to strictly pay the price for the sailing or purchase the ‘OLife Choice’ package, which includes free unlimited Internet, airfare (where applicable), bonus savings and the choice of one of the following: free shore excursions, free house beverage package, or shipboard credit.The flight upgrade promotion is offered to guests in all stateroom categories, from economical inside staterooms to the lavish Owner’s Suites, and carriers include (but are not limited to) British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Scandinavian Airlines, Air Canada, and Icelandair. Pending the airline, travelers can take advantage of priority boarding, extra luggage allowance, spacious seats with abundant legroom, full meal and bar service, and personal entertainment systems.More news: Help Princess Cruises break the world record for largest vow renewal at seaTo reserve the special, bookings must be made by June 30, and capacity is limited. Additionally, the carrier and routing are at the discretion of Oceania Cruises. Oceania announces flight upgrade special until June 30 Posted by Travelweek Group Thursday, June 1, 2017 << Previous PostNext Post >>