MONACO (AP) — Midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko’s thumping header sent Monaco through to the Champions League quarterfinals as the home side beat Manchester City 3-1 on Wednesday to progress on the away goals rule in another pulsating match between two attack-minded sides.City fought back from 2-0 down and was momentarily back in control after midfielder Leroy Sane’s 71st-minute goal. But six minutes later Bakayoko rose imperiously to meet Thomas Lemar’s curling free kick and restore the two-goal margin Monaco needed as the contest finished 6-6 on aggregate.Trailing 5-3 from the first leg of their Round of 16 match, Monaco made the perfect start. Confirming his reputation as a rising star of European football, 18-year-old forward Kylian Mbappe scored from close range in the eighth minute for his 11th goal in 11 games.Brazilian midfielder Fabinho made it 2-0 in the 29th with a crisp shot from near the penalty spot after excellent work by left back Benjamin Mendy.Three weeks ago, City had rallied from 3-2 down with three goals in the last 20 minutes and Pep Guardiola’s side needed another comeback on the French Riviera.City played much better in the second half, with Sane scoring after City top scorer Sergio Aguero had missed good chances.The fleet-footed Sane was one of City’s best players in the first leg and came alive after the break, smashing the ball into the roof of the net after Danijel Subasic’s save from Raheem Sterling’s low shot fell right into his path.That gave City hope.But it was not enough, and Monaco’s players rushed to the center circle to mob each other as the final whistle blew.In the night’s other match, Atletico Madrid also reached the quarterfinals, drawing 0-0 at home to Bayer Leverkusen to advance 4-2 on aggregate.TweetPinShare0 Shares
Newcastle manager Benitez blocks Murphy loanby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle manager Rafa Benitez is not keen on loaning out Jacob Murphy.The winger has only started three games this season.He wants regular football, but Benitez is not willing to let him go.Per the Chronicle Live, Benitez will only sanction a loan for Murphy and others if he is given money to spend on incoming transfers.The club with the biggest interest in Murphy is Huddersfield, another team battling to stay in the Premier League. TagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man City and Real Madrid settle fee for Brahim Diazby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City and Real Madrid have settled on a fee for Brahim Diaz.BBC Sport reports City youngster Diaz is close to joining Real Madrid for an initial £15.5m.There has been uncertainty over the 19-year-old’s future since the start of the season.City manager Pep Guardiola previously said the club were trying to persuade Diaz to sign a new contract.However, the Blues have now accepted that Diaz, a Spain Under-21 international, will join Real Madrid for a fee that could rise to £21m.Diaz joined City from Malaga as a 14-year-old in 2013 and made 15 first-team appearances, four this season.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Jay Rodriguez loving the competition between Burnley strikersby Paul Vegas25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveJay Rodriguez is loving the competition between strikers at Burnley.The summer signing has had to compete with Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes this season.He scored against Aston Villa on Saturday and speaking after the game, the Englishman said: “That is football and one of those things, you have to focus on what you can do and be ready when the time comes.”I always want more and more goals and to take every chance I can. I will keep my head down and work hard.”It is healthy competition and everyone has to stay patient and continue to work hard and effect what they can affect.”Woody and Barnesy are great lads and great footballers and they have made me feel really welcome.”I always want to learn off other players and every striker I play alongside.”
Husky values the transaction at $6.4 billion, including the assumption of $3.1 billion in debt.MEG chairman Jeffrey McCaig says Husky’s offer doesn’t recognize the value of MEG’s assets, technology, expertise and business prospects, noting that MEG is at an “inflection point” with a low-risk business plan that will generate significant free cash flow starting in 2019.Husky says it took its proposal directly to shareholders because MEG’s board wouldn’t discuss it. It says its offer is open until Jan. 16.In its news release, MEG says it is producing 100,000 barrels per day of bitumen and has spent substantially all the capital required to increase production to 113,000 bpd by 2020. CALGARY, A.B. – MEG Energy Corp. says its board is unanimously recommending that shareholders reject Husky Energy Inc.’s $3.3-billion hostile takeover offer made on Oct. 2.In a news release, the Calgary-based oilsands company says the offer “significantly undervalues” its shares and is not in the best interests of the company.Husky is offering a combination of cash or shares worth $11 for each MEG share. The maximum cash available under the deal is capped at $1 billion and the maximum number of shares limited to 107 million.
Maputo (Mozambique): A powerful cyclone smashed into northern Mozambique, leaving one person dead on Friday, barely a month after a super-storm hit the centre of the country, devastating the area and leaving hundreds dead. Category three Cyclone Kenneth, packing winds of 160 kilometres (100 miles) an hour, struck the north coast’s Cabo Delgado province late Thursday after swiping the Comoros islands. The United Nations warned of flash flooding and landslides as Mozambique’s emergency agency the INGC reported one person was killed by a falling coconut tree in the port city of Pemba, Cabo Delgado’s provincial capital. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USOn the tourist island of Ibo, 90 percent of homes for the 6,000 population had been flattened, according to a spokesman for the agency, Antonio Beleza. “I don’t expect to find my hotel undamaged,” said Swiss hotel owner Lucie Amr, who took refuge in Ibo’s fort alongside many local residents. The winds had reduced to about 70 kilometres an hour on Friday, according to the local meteorological institute, but heavy rains are forecast over the next 24 hours, raising fears of flooding and mudslides in Cabo Delgado, which borders Tanzania. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsThe UN World Food Programme (WFP) said over 600 millimetres (almost 24 inches) of rainfall was expected. That would be nearly double the amount accumulated in 10 days of rainfall that caused flooding in Beira, which was devastated during Cyclone Idai. The most powerful storm to strike the region in decades, Idai cut a path of destruction through Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe. It left more than 1,000 dead, causing damage estimated at around 2 billion (1.8 billion euros) “Although floodwaters have receded in most areas it (Idai)affected, access is still a challenge as infrastructure was severely compromised,” the WFP said. “This second cyclone is an additional blow for the people of Mozambique and bound to complicate the humanitarian response,” adding that it had already provided food aid to 1.3 million people after Idai. It said the government has made public buildings including schools available to people seeking shelter from the flooding and the WFP has “prepositioned” over 500 tonnes of food in Pemba. A helicopter is expected to arrived in Cabo Delgado when weather conditions allow as roads are expected to be impassable because of flooding, making food delivery difficult, it added.
Ohio State redshirt sophomore quarterback Dwayne Haskins (7) throws the ball downfield in the third quarter of the Ohio State-Oregon State game on Sept. 1. Ohio State won 77-31. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo EditorDwayne Haskins is no stranger to the big lights.In high school, the four-star prospect, according to 247Sports composite rankings, won back-to-back conference titles in Maryland’s Interstate Athletic Conference at Bullis School before committing to Ohio State.Then, in his redshirt freshman year for the Buckeyes, Haskins led Ohio State back with 17 unanswered points to defeat Michigan 31-20 when quarterback J.T. Barrett went down with an injury.Now with two collegiate starts, dominant victories in each, the redshirt sophomore quarterback faces his toughest challenge yet with No. 15 TCU.“I think they do a really good job,” Haskins said. “They’re a really experienced team, and we’re getting ready for them.”Haskins might be going into the biggest start of his Ohio State career, but in Wednesday’s interview, it seemed like any regular week.Though this will be his first time starting a primetime game or facing a ranked opponent, Haskins seemed incredibly calm about the entire situation.He said, regardless of the heightened pressure in the game, all he’s thinking about is how to win it.“I really haven’t thought about that,” Haskins said. “The biggest thing for me is to go win the game and that’s all I want to do.”So far this season, Haskins has proven to be calm and confident under center.In his first two collegiate starts, Haskins has completed 79.2 percent of his passes for 549 yards and nine touchdowns, with only one interception. This has, in part, led to the Ohio State offense averaging 64.5 points per game through its first two matchups.But, on Saturday night, in his third start, Haskins faces a TCU defense that has allowed only 9.5 points per game while holding opposing quarterbacks to the eighth-fewest passing yards per game in the NCAA.TCU head coach Gary Patterson has always held a defense-first approach, even in the offense-heavy Big 12 conference. Acting head coach Ryan Day complimented the depth that TCU’s defense holds against his inexperienced quarterback.“Coach Patterson has done a great job. They have all the answers,” Day said. “They make quick adjustments. They know exactly how you’re trying to attack them, so very, very talented group.”The Horned Frogs will give the Buckeyes their first real challenge, their first major opponent after handedly defeating Oregon State and Rutgers.But an outside viewer would never be able to tell that Haskins, a quarterback who just made his first two starts at Ohio State, is about to go up against one of the highest-ranked defenses in the nation on Saturday.Instead, Haskins said if anything rattles him, it’s his dogs, and maybe some school work.“Probably the biggest thing is homework,” Haskins said. “Having to take my dogs out and pick their, you now, stuff up, that gets me pretty riled up.”
Zinedine Zidane reportedly wanted to vacate his role as Real Madrid manager back in FebruaryThe Frenchman stunned the football world in May by announcing that he had decided to leave Los Blancos, just five days after he had led the club to a third consecutive Champions League title.Since that shocking moment, Zidane has been regularly linked with replacing the under-fire Jose Mourinho at Manchester United.But now Marca claims that Zidane had decided to leave Real in February and was very close to leaving on the same month.Zidane hails ‘quality’ James Rodriguez after Real Madrid’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane reserved special praise for James Rodriguez after his starring role in Real Madrid’s 3-2 win over Levante.This came in light of Los Galacticos’ shock Copa del Rey exit at the hands of the lowly Leganes.However, Real president Florentino Perez and his right-hand Angel Sanchez managed to convince Zidane to stick it out for the remainder of the season.Zidane won 104 of his 149 games in charge of Real with a win percentage of 69% after replacing Rafael Benitez in January 2016.
A Customs and Border Protection agent watching surveillance footage. James Martin/CNET If you’re taking a trip in to or out of the US, border agents currently have free rein to search through your digital devices. Unlike police, agents don’t need a warrant to look through your phones, laptops and other electronics. Two US senators are hoping to change that with a bipartisan bill. Sen. Ron Wyden, a Democrat from Oregon, and Sen. Rand Paul, a Republican from Kentucky, on Wednesday introduced the Protecting Data at the Border Act, which would require agents to obtain a warrant before they can search Americans’ devices at the border. The number of electronic searches at the border has spiked in the last four years. In 2018, the Department of Homeland Security conducted more than 33,000 searches on devices, compared with 4,764 searches in 2015. Customs and Border Protection declined to comment.”The border is quickly becoming a rights-free zone for Americans who travel. The government shouldn’t be able to review your whole digital life simply because you went on vacation, or had to travel for work,” Wyden said in a statement. The bill is also being introduced in the House of Representatives by a group of Democrats. Wyden and Paul introduced the same bill in 2017. Since then, warrantless device searches at the border increased by 10 percent.Law enforcement agencies have been taking advantage of the warrantless searches at the border, using the information discovered in unrelated court cases, the American Civil Liberties Union discovered through its related lawsuit against the DHS. Until a court makes a decision, the agency is still allowed to conduct these searches without a warrant. “Respecting civil liberties and our Constitution actually strengthens our national security, and Americans should not be forced to surrender their rights or privacy at the border,” Paul said. “Our bill will put an end to these intrusive government searches and uphold the fundamental protections of the Fourth Amendment.” Border wall dividing homes and habitat Politics Security 1 Now playing: Watch this: 2:09 Share your voice Comment Tags