A 14-year-old teen of Queenstown Village, Essequibo Coast, was on Tuesday charged for wandering and ordered to spend two years at the New Opportunity Corps (NOC) by Magistrate Sunil Scarce, when she appeared at the Anna Regina Magistrate’s Court. The matter was tried in camera.The court was told the defendant during the month of December 2015, at Queenstown, Essequibo Coast, being under the age of 17, was found wondering. She had been missing from her grandmother’s home for some four months and refused to say where she was or who she was with when she appeared in court.The grandmother and her father were present in court. The father agreed to have the teen spend two years at NOC; however, the grandmother was not in favour. After the probation report was presented to Magistrate Scarce, the teen was sent to NOC where she was told to further her studies. The court also heard that out of 55 school sessions, the juvenile only 34 attended.It was also reported that prior to her leaving home for the past four months, she would pretend that she is going to school by dressing in her uniform but her school attendance record showed that she was absent on numerous occasions.
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has trained about 45 farmers including forest users on the preventive measures of the deadly human killer disease— Ebola.The FAO three-day interactive training was held at the conference hall of the Booker Washington Institute (BWI) in Kakata with participants drawn from five counties. The training workshop started Monday, 15 and ended on Wednesday, September 17, 2014.Participating counties include Bomi, Margibi, Grand Cape Mount, Grand Bassa, and Montserrado Counties.Speaking to the Daily Observer in Kakata, the National Consultant for Rapid Response against EVD, FAO, Dr. Etagegnehu D. Belayneh, said the training is part of FAO way to create awareness on the EVD for farmers and forest users with special emphasis for native people (farmers) who cannot read and write and have no chance to get healthcare and hygienic information easily.She furthered that the awareness help create bridge linkage between the communities and EVD taskforce in each county as well as district for fast reporting of contact cases and contact tracing. According to the FAO National Consultant for Rapid Response against EVD, participants are trained to help train other farmers who were not opportune to form part of the training exercise.She said participants are expected to get back to the communities and to pass on knowledge learnt from the training to others especially community volunteers, women groups, youth for fast transmission of the EVD prevention and control messages already developed by MOH and its international partners.Dr. Belayneh places the overall objectives of the FAO/UN as supporting the Liberian government ongoing effort in the country to fight against the deadly pandemic “Ebola”. She said the training is being carried out in three regions including: region one, Kakata with five counties, Gbarnga City, Bong County, and Grand Gedeh County. The FAO training is under the theme: Rapid Response Against Ebola Prevention and control. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Renato Sanches has scored two goals for Benfica this season 1 Manchester United are reportedly on the verge of sealing their first summer signing, 18-year-old Benfica midfielder Renato Sanches.The Red Devils have reportedly agreed a £46m deal to bring Sanches to Old Trafford in the summer with Jorge Mendes – also the agent of Jose Mourinho – brokering the deal between the two clubs.But just who is this teenage sensation?Sanches is a strong and powerful box-to-box midfielder who has broken into the Benfica first team this season having played in the UEFA Youth League up until then.The Portuguese under-21 international played in both legs of the Champions League quarter-finals which Benfica narrowly lost to Bayern Munich.Following the impressive start to his senior career, Benfica moved quickly to tie Sanches down to a better contract, and importantly a new buyout clause which is at €80m.United have had their eye on the Lisbon born midfielder all season and were in discussions over a £40m move for him in January but failed in their attempts.While Sanches is highly rated by a number of top European clubs, many Manchester United fans may be unaware of who he is, or even worried he could end up as another Anderson-type player.See the video below for all his best moments since breaking into the Benfica first team this season!
DD OFFER: Award-Winning Apache Pizza in Letterkenny is the BEST pizza in town – and at a price that’s right.The Irish-owned company has wonderful pizzerias around Ireland.And their local outlet is on the Port Road. Their mid-week offer is proving popular with customers.You can have any large pizza PLUS chicken wings or chips for just €9.99.You can place your order on 074 9124347!Promoted Post Get your business seen on Donegal Daily by emailing firstname.lastname@example.orgANY SIZE APACHE PIZZA AND SIDES TODAY FOR JUST €9.99 was last modified: March 29th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Apache Pizzaletterkenny
A Co Fermanagh man has appeared in court in Letterkenny today charged with thefts from a local farm machinery company.Letterkenny court.Thomas Jennings, of 1 Rosscah View, Kesh did not appear in court. The 36 year old is charged with two counts of theft from Donegal Farm Machinery at Bonagee in Letterkenny.The alleged thefts took place on September 13th of last year.Mr Jennings, who was represented by solicitor Frank Dorrian, did not appear at Letterkenny District Court.No details of the alleged thefts were given in court.The case was adjourned until September 22nd next by Judge Paul Kelly.FERMANAGH MAN APPEARS IN COURT ON THEFTS FROM DONEGAL MACHINERY COMPANY was last modified: June 20th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalDonegal Farm MachineryKeshThomas Jennings
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Exactly how many pregnant women take ACE inhibitors or another blood pressure medication is unclear. However, a national survey found the number of ACE inhibitor prescriptions given to women of childbearing age increased from 1.4 million in 1995 to 2.7 million in 2002, the latest data available. ACE inhibitors already carry a strong Food and Drug Administration “black box” warning about their dangers in the later stages of pregnancy, and the label says the drugs should be discontinued when pregnancy is detected. But little has been known about their early effects. Based on the new findings, taking these drugs during early pregnancy “cannot be considered safe and should be avoided,” lead researcher Dr. William Cooper, a Vanderbilt University pediatrician, said in today’s New England Journal of Medicine. The FDA said more research is needed before it considers changing the warning label to specifically include the risks during the first trimester. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Some blood pressure drugs previously thought to be safe when taken early in pregnancy now appear to substantially raise the risk of major birth defects, doctors say. Babies whose mothers took ACE inhibitors in their first trimester were more than twice as likely to be born with serious heart and brain problems than those not exposed to any pressure-lowering medicines, a large study in Tennessee found. Other types of blood pressure drugs did not raise the risk to babies. The research raises troubling questions about the lack of safety data for many drugs prescribed to pregnant women. About 8 percent of pregnant women develop high blood pressure, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke.
A 40-year-old Killygordon man became involved ‘in a domestic situation that was fraught with emotion’ as he visited his former partner, the mother of his child.Jason McDaid, of 17 Railway Avenue in Killygordon, was before today’s sitting of Letterkenny District Court on a number of charges arising out of an incident at Carrickmagrath, Ballybofey on November 17, 2013. Mr McDaid, the court heard, had four previous convictions. He called to the home of his former partner, Elaine Moss.Mr Sean McGlynn was injured having being hit by a gate that was struck by Mr McDaid’s car as he left the property.“There was some conflict or confusion as to how the gate flung open or in the manner of Mr McDaid’s exit,” defending solicitor, Cormac Hartnett told the court.“My client was angry and he left the dwelling in a hurry. He came into contact with the gate, but did not intend to injure Mr McGlynn.“This arose out of a domestic situation that was fraught with emotion. Mr McDaid is the father of a ten-year-old child at the time and Ms Moss is the mother of the child.“The relationship has long since broken down. When Mr McDaid arrived at the house, after being in receipt of phonecalls from Ms Moss regarding maintenance and access, her new partner was there, which didn’t help in terms of the attitude.“It was a domestic situation that became very emotive and somewhat adversarial.”Solicitor Cormac Hartnett told the court that the parties had ‘put the animosity behind them and have since had a civil relationship’.He said: “There have been no incidents since this between the parties. The relationship has been distant but civil and there has been no outbreak of the hostility.“It is now back in the history of time. It was an incident that accelerated on the night in question. It was unseemly and it is one that Mr McDaid entirely regrets.“Mr McDaid is currently unemployed, but does have an offer to work as a driver. He has an opportunity now that has been a long time in coming.”Judge Deirdre Geart said: “It was wreckless in the extreme. This isn’t an assault. It’s driving in a manner that was dangerous.”The matter was adjourned until May 15th by visiting Judge Gearty for Judge Paul Kelly to impose a penalty.Man struck former partner’s boyfriend with swinging gate was last modified: April 10th, 2017 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Dunfanaghy Golf Club NotesDunfanaghy was in party mode this week with the arrival of the Jazz & Blues Festival. As a result we had a lot of visitors playing golf over the weekend. On Saturday the sun shone brightly and there were some terrific scores in the Open 4BBB Stableford competition. The winners by two clear shots were Tony and Ryan Griffin from Ballybofey & Stranorlar GC. In second were Pat Bonner and Raymond Shields while John Chambers and Frank Dorian took third place. In the club 4BBB Stableford on Sunday, Colin Higgs and Cyril Robinson came out on top with 43 points finishing one shot ahead of Cathal McMonagle and John McNulty. One shot further back were Paddy Hegarty and Michael Ward. In Wednesday’s Open Stableford, Paul O’Reilly from Strabane, playing off a handicap of five, was the winner with a great score of 40 points. Cathal Gallagher, playing off four was second while Hugh Gallagher from Letterkenny was third. Peadar Curran won the gross prize with 28 gross points.Junior Golf In the juvenile’s section we had another scramble this week. The team of Andy Ward, Max Roarty and Carlos O’Reilly finished in a dead heat with the team of Conor Neely, Lucas Wood, Michael Dolan and Cormac Hall. In the cadet’s section the clear winner was Jack Hanna however, one of our new recruits, Matthew Wilkinson played some great golf and it will not be long before he is competing for the top prizesCompetition Results:Wednesday Open Stableford – 7th September 20161st Paul O’Reilly Strabane 40pts 2nd Cathal Gallagher Gweedore 39ptsGross Peader Curran 28 gross pts3rd Hugh Gallagher Letterkenny 37ptsOpen 4BBB Stableford – 10th September 20161st Tony Griffen B/S 47pts Ryan Griffen B/S2nd Pat Bonner Portsalon 45ptsRaymond Shields3rd John Chambers COD 43pts Frank DorrianOpen 4BBB – 11th September 20161st Colin Higgs 43ptsCyril Robinson2nd Cathal McMonagle 42ptsJohn McNulty3rd Paddy Hegarty 41ptsMichael WardEvents for the Week Ahead:Wednesday 14th September – Open Singles StablefordSaturday 17th September – Open Single Stableford Competition plus Past Captain’s Competition. All past Captains are asked to let Mary know by Wednesday if they are attending for Golf and meal. Tea/coffee at 10.45. First tee time 11.28.Sunday 18th September Monthly Medal.Senior Open Competition (50Plus)Monday 26th September sees the return of the popular 50plus Ladies and Gents senior open competition. Tea/Coffee& biscuits complimentary before Golf.The Vardon Lounge will be now only open for foodFriday 3-8Saturday 12-8Sunday 12-8Golf News: Paul O’Reilly in fantastic form at Dunfanaghy was last modified: September 13th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:DunfanaghygolfPaul O’ReillySport
ANTI-austerity campaigners from across Co Donegal will converge on Letterkenny tonight to lay on a noisy ‘welcome’ for Fine Gael cabinet minister Leo Varadkar.The Transport Minister is due to address party members at a dinner at the Station House Hotel in the town at around 9pm.However a host of different groups have been using Twitter and Facebook in the past 24 hours in a bid to organise a protest. Groups opposed to water charges, septic tank taxes, the household tax as well as those opposed to Vehicle Registration Tax and increased fuel prices are all planning to turn up.Mr Varadkar is a guest of Milford and Letterkenny Fine Gael.The dinner is planned as a fundraiser for the party in the area with TD Joe McHugh and Mayor Noel McBride hosting the reception.Protestors are also discussing a protest at the Gartan Winter School on Saturday where Varadkar will also make a speech. One of those hoping for a massive turn-out told us: “We want as many people at the hotel as possible. This is our chance to get our message across to one of the chief architects of the austerity measures and a cheerleader for the bondholders.”Ryan Stewart, one of those involved in Donegal Action Against Austerity, told us: “We plan to line the streets around the hotel in a peaceful protest.”A senior Garda in the town said already stretched resources for a Friday night in Letterkenny will be stretched even further.Last weekend the local division was the second biggest in the county.© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved. The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law. Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailyNOISY RECEPTION PLANNED FOR FINE GAEL MINISTER DURING DONEGAL VISIT was last modified: February 24th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
An assistant teacher at a Donegal secondary school had sex with a 14 year old pupil after striking up a relationship with her on a Facebook page.Letterkenny court.The man, who was in his 20s at the time, was taking part in a Strictly Come Dancing event at the school. He received a message from the young girl and they began an online friendship.However some time later the teacher, who cannot be named for legal reasons, sent the girl a picture of his erect penis.They then arranged to meet on two occasions between February and April of 2012.The first time they met she was very drunk but he was sober and they met at her grandmother’s vacant home in East Donegal.On that occasion he had oral and full sex with the girl who was a virgin at the time.The following day he contacted the girl and told her what had happened was a mistake and should not happen again.The on April 8th, 2012, she had been drinking heavily at her family home and sent the man a text at 10pm.He said he had been at a rugby match and became aroused when she contacted him.They arranged to meet again and he asked her to bring a condom as he had not got one with him.Again full sex took place and she said he was much rougher than the first time.Barrister for the man, Martin Giblin, told Letterkenny Circuit Court today the man had become completely ostracised from his community.Before this he had been fine sportsman who enjoyed boxing and rugby.He said he had also apologised to the woman.The man, who pleaded guilty to the defilement of a child on two occasions, sat the back of the courtroom wringing his hands and weeping throughout the case.He had no previous convictions and came from a hard-working and decent family who were very upset by what had happened.The man has also had to move out of his local area.Judge Matthew Deery said the man has been co-operative and apologetic.“The position is she was vulnerable and the offences are obviously serious,” he said.He added that it was clear that he took advantage of her.He sentenced the man to two years for each charge but suspended the last six months of each sentence meaning the man will serve 18 months in prison.ASSISTANT TEACHER JAILED AFTER HAVING SEX WITH 14 YEAR OLD PUPIL AFTER FACEBOOK RELATIONSHIP was last modified: July 16th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ChildcourtdefilementdonegalsexTEACHER