Jordan in court for trial on his brand value CHICAGO (AP): Michael Jordan has arrived at a Chicago federal courthouse for a civil trial that will examine the market value of the basketball star’s identity. The trial that began yesterday stems from a lawsuit the ex-Chicago Bull brought against a grocery-store chain for the unauthorised use of his name and persona in an ad. The six-time NBA champion entered through front doors after a judge denied his request to enter through a security tunnel. Jordan walked through a metal detector and showed ID to security. A judge previously found the now-defunct Dominick’s Finer Foods invoked Jordan’s identity without permission. The unresolved issue is damages. The 2009 magazine ad congratulated Jordan on his Hall of Fame induction. Over a $2-off steak coupon, the text says, “You are a cut above.” Jordan is expected to testify. Harting to skip Worlds FRANKFURT, Germany (AP): Olympic discus champion Robert Harting will not defend his World title in Beijing later this month because he is still recovering from a knee injury. Harting told reporters yesterday that “it was absolutely not possible” for him to compete at the World Championship because he did not want to risk another injury ahead of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Harting has not competed in a major meet since tearing his knee ligaments 11 months ago. The German won the last three World Championship titles and is the 2012 Olympic champion. Harting led a group of athletes who released a video message earlier this week saying track and field’s world governing body had “betrayed” them by not doing enough to fight doping.
Dear Editor,The Guyana Islamic Forum for Education, Peace and Religious Solidarity, in association with the Electric Mosque’s Teachings of Islam, wishes to condemn the vicious physically attack on a Muslim young lady in the Corentyne area. An attempt was also made to strip her of her clothes and her Islamic symbol of the Hijab was viciously torn away. She was physically brutalised.The Guyana Islamic Forum for Education, Peace and Religious Solidarity condemns this most vehemently and asks that the legal fraternity takes serious action into this matter so that we can put measures in place to protect all students of all religions with their religious symbols – their outfits, headwear/headgear, religious threads, crosses and any other religious symbol that might be worn by anyone. Guyana is a law-abiding country, in which most of its people are religious people that understand the moral principle of respecting the religious beliefs of others.The Guyana Islamic Forum for Education, Peace and Religious Solidarity, in association with the Electric Mosque’s Teachings of Islam is calling on the Ministry of Social Cohesion, the Ethnic Relations Commission, Guyana Bar Association and all religious institutions and organisations to immediately condemn and intervene in this inhumane and barbaric act before it gets out of hand. We, the Guyana Islamic Forum, encourage counselling for both parties to assist the victim and the aggressor. Failure to act urgently can result in serious repercussions that could bring embarrassment to Guyana and the famous Tagore Memorial Secondary School, in which the undersigned was a student. A simple thing like this can make Guyana look religiously intolerable.We are urgently asking the police and the relevant authorities to seriously look into this matter so that we can resolve the issues at hand accordingly.Kind regards,Roshan Khan
WASHINGTON – Attention owners of primitive TVs: If you still use an antenna to watch “American Idol,” your picture will disappear at midnight Feb. 17, 2009, unless you buy something called a digital converter box. No one knows how much these boxes, which have yet to be produced, will cost. But the government will help you pay for them, at least until the money runs out. The reason millions of TVs will be rendered obsolete is a government mandate for broadcasters to convert their signals from old-style analog to new-style digital. The agency responsible for overseeing distribution of the converter boxes, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, explained Monday how the program is supposed to work. The National Cable and Telecommunications Association reports that roughly 66 million U.S. households subscribe to basic cable. About 32 million of those have digital cable, and sets hooked up to that service will not be not be affected by the change. Anyone who receives direct broadcast satellite signals also has nothing to worry about. That’s where it starts to get complicated. For consumers who plug the cable right into their cable-ready TV sets, they will either be provided with a set-top box by their service provider, or the provider will send an analog signal to its customers. But the issue has not yet been fully resolved.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Every household, regardless of whether it needs a box, will be eligible to receive two coupons worth $40 each that can be used to buy two converter boxes. The coupons must be requested between Jan. 1, 2008, and March 31, 2009. Congress, in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005, set aside $1.5 billion to pay for the coupon program. Initially, $990 million will be used to pay for coupons and cover administrative costs, which are capped at $110 million. An additional $510 million may be allocated, but those coupons are reserved for households that only have over-the-air television. The massive conversion is designed to make better use of the public airwaves. Digital broadcast signals take up less spectrum, so once broadcasters make the transition it will free up a big chunk of the airwaves and allow the government to auction it off and dedicate some of it to public safety. The Federal Communications Commission says that as of June 2005 there were 15.4 million television households in the United States that received over-the-air signals only. Add to that homes that receive cable or satellite, but also have sets that rely on antennas, and the number gets larger. And then there’s cable.
Manoukian carried $75,400 into this year from his previous campaign and amassed an additional $89,000 before mid-February from local businesses and political allies. The campaign also took in about $3,700 in nonmonetary compensation this year and raised an additional $32,000 over the past month. He has spent about $126,000. Contributions include $1,500 from Adam Schiff for Congress, a campaign committee for the local U.S. representative. Fellow council candidate John Drayman gave Manoukian $100. Agajanian tallied $70,321 in contributions and services. He has spent about $21,700 on mailers, campaign-worker salaries and other expenses. Keuroghelian, an immigration consultant and former Glendale police spokesman, has raised $45,500 in money and services. He has spent about $40,600 on mailers and television time. Incumbent Weaver, first elected to the council in 1997, carried $30,000 from his past campaign and raised more than $35,800 this year, which includes a personal loan of $1,650 and a $1,000 contribution from Bob’s Big Boy restaurant in Glendale. He has spent about $43,300 on the campaign. GLENDALE – Incumbent Councilman Rafi Manoukian has raised a staggering $124,700 for his City Council campaign, leaving other council hopefuls in the dust, according to the latest financial disclosures obtained Monday. Manoukian, a two-term councilman first elected in 1999, is apparently the only one so far to break the $100,000 barrier in the April 3 election, which has two seats up for grabs. His closest rival in fundraising, television host Vrej Agajanian, had more than $70,000, according to campaign finance statements covering up to March 17. Of the eight candidates for council, only Agajanian, Manoukian, Mayor Dave Weaver and candidate Chahe Keuroghelian submitted disclosures by Thursday’s deadline. From earlier statements filed in February, challenger and Glendale Unified school board member Greg Krikorian had gathered about $56,100 for the campaign, including $16,000 raised this year. He has spent about $10,800 on signs and mailers. Drayman, president of the Montrose Shopping Park Association, had a war chest of more than $18,000, of which $1,100 has been spent. Candidate Herbert Molano raised $10,707, which includes more than $10,000 of his own money. He has spent about $1,300. Challenger Lenore Solis filed a short form for campaign spending of less than $1,000. email@example.com (818) 546-3304 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill has described as ‘alarming’ the news that waiting lists for orthodontic treatment in Co Donegal have soared by over 900% over the past two years.The number of Donegal patients waiting for orthodontic has jumped from 458 patients in July 2011 to 4,127 at the end of November 2013. On top of this, there are 663 patients waiting for an initial assessment – that’s up from 237 in July 2011.Senator Ó Domhnaill has described the delays as unacceptable and said it’s yet another system of the deepening crisis in the healthcare sector in Donegal. “This is just the latest example of the chaos in the health care sector as a result of total mismanagement by the Health Minister James Reilly,” the Donegal Senator said.“Patient waiting lists across a range of areas have soared over the past two years and there seems to be no end in sight. Now, we see that the list for orthodontic treatment is up by a shocking 900% since 2011. This is as a direct result of Minister Reilly’s mismanagement.“I have raised this issue with the Minister and the HSE on several occasions. It’s deeply frustrating that they still seem to be ignoring the problem. In the meantime, waiting lists continue to rise while services are cut.“It is outrageous that the Health Minister would allow waiting lists for any health service to increase so dramatically. His failure to act is an insult to the patients who are waiting for treatment. The Minister needs to tackle this problem immediately.” ALARM AT 900% RISE IN DONEGAL ORTHODONTIC WAITING LISTS was last modified: December 4th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Brian Ó Domhnaillorthodontic treatmentrise
A Donegal County Councillor has claimed that this road is the worst in the county.Sinn Féin Councillor Adrian Glackin has asked for the Council to carry out urgent repair work to the Inniskill Road in Churchill.Councillor Glackin has said that blocked drains and the recent flash floods have deteriorated the condition. “This is a major issue, it is a real danger and there is not a worse road in Donegal than this,” Councillor Glackin told the monthly meeting of Letterkenny Municipal District.“A sinkhole appeared recently and residents took me up to see just how bad it was.“The road is in shocking shape. A number of drains are blocked and are washing the road away. There are concerns that more bad flooding will have it impassable.”Councillor Gerry McMonagle said that a ‘meeting of minds’ is needed to address the problem. “There is a job of work to be done here – people live here and this isn’t on.”Councillor Glackin praised the swift work of Council employees who repaired the sinkhole in a matter of hours.It is expected that this road will be listed in the Restoration Maintenance and Restoration Improvement programme for 2018.Is this the worst road in Donegal? was last modified: January 10th, 2018 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Adrian GlackinChurchillletterkennyLetterkenny Municipal DistrictSinn Fein
QPR have mostly been on the back foot in the FA Cup third round clash at Park, where kick-off was delayed by 10 minutes because of congestion around the surrounding area.Goalkeeper Julio Cesar is making his first appearance of the season for Rangers, who had an early effort on goal when Gary O’Neil sent a long-range effort wide.Nikica Jelavic – a transfer target for R’s boss Harry Redknapp – is making his first start for Everton since September.The Croatian brought a near-post save from Cesar, who was also able to gather shots from Ross Barkley and Gareth Barry.Everton: Robles, Coleman, Oviedo, Stones, Alcaraz, McCarthy, Barry, Naismith, Barkley, Osman, Jelavic.Subs: Howard, Hibbert, Heitinga, Pienaar, Mirallas, Vellios, Lukaku.QPR: Cesar, Simpson, Onuoha, Hill, Assou-Ekotto, Traore, Phillips, Barton, Henry, O’Neil, Austin.Subs: Murphy, Dunne, Johnson, Onyewu, Kranjcar, Zamora, Benayoun.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Tags:#Google#web Today, Google announced a new search offering for mobile devices. The redesigned search experience will free handset users from having to type by including browseable categories. Local mobile search will also integrate with saved Google Maps information on a user’s computer.At first glance, this seems to be a great new tool to streamline the flow of information between our online and offline worlds. But how well does Google’s new local mobile search work in reality?On the Google Mobile blog, project manager Joshua Siegel writes about using the search functions on a recent trip to Hawaii. “The new category browse feature made it easy to find a place to rent bicycles for a quick tour of the coastline. I just tapped on ‘Entertainment & Recreation’ and then ‘Bicycles’ to execute a search – no typing necessary. When it was time for scuba diving, I didn’t see an appropriate category, so I started typing ‘SCUBA’ in the search box and clicked on a suggestion for ‘Scuba Tour Agency.’ A few hours later, I was petting a white-tipped reef shark!” Related Posts jolie odell 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market This video from the Google team shows more about how to star certain locations in Google Maps while at a computer and use the different features of local search for mobile:Sounds great, right?But when we tried to use Google’s local search tab on a mobile device, some of the results we got were strange and disappointing. We were searching for “coffee” and “WiFi” in southeastern Virginia, and the top result was for the Hotel Taj Bengal Kolkat in West Bengal. And although we do enjoy the Cafe de Paris in Monte Carlo, we do not think this was an appropriate second result for local search in Virginia.When we narrowed our search to just “coffee”, we got better results, but who wants just coffee with no WiFi?Next, we tried browsing the categories, again with mixed results. The ability to access saved and recent searches, however, was stellar and is probably users’ best bet for getting around to local businesses while on-the-go.
IT + Project Management: A Love Affair klint finley Tags:#enterprise#Trends 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of… Related Posts Despite the high demand for IT workers, it’s still an employer’s market. That’s due in part to the laundry lists of skill requirements for IT positions. Convergence and cloud computing are increasing the base of skills that workers need to have. We’ve occasionally touched upon what needs to be done to solve this problem, but what can workers do in the meantime?Developers are increasingly turning to Github to highlight their skills, and we’ve covered this trend a couple times. Meanwhile, the IT recruitment company CWjobs.co.uk is trying to find more creative ways to present job candidates.CWjobs.co.uk recently published research finding:88% of recruiters often see mistakes on IT jobseekers’ CVs.74% of IT jobseekers are confident they represent themselves better in person than on paper.23% of IT jobseekers admit to getting someone else to write their CV for them.In order to help workers better present themselves, the company is experimenting with augmented reality.Here’s an example: Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… Gimmicky? You bet. And it was probably quite expensive to produce. I doubt AR résumés are the way of the future, but what if you were applying for a job as an AR developer and you built something yourself instead of hiring someone else to do it? That would be an effective résumé.Animators, designers, writers and other creative types have always been able to include examples of their work with job applications. Developers can include code samples. That’s harder to do for a data center operations manager, network engineer or systems analyst. But with cheap access to cloud computing resources through services like Amazon Web Services and Rackspace Cloud, it’s becoming possible for enterprise IT workers to create sharable samples of their work.Have you ever presented a project as part of a job application? What types of side projects can workers do to learn and demonstrate new skills?Photo by CharlotWest
A case was registered on Monday against more than a dozen students of Banaras Hindu University (BHU) for allegedly assaulting and verbally abusing students, including women, who were organising a programne to mark one year of their protests against gender-based restrictions on the campus.While ten students were named in the FIR lodged at the Lanka police station, around a dozen unknown outsiders have also been booked for offences under Sections 147, 354, 323, 504 and 506 of the IPC.The charges include criminal intimidation and assaulting a woman with the intent to outrage her modesty.While the organisers accused the ABVP, the student wing of the RSS-BJP, of disrupting the show in the FIR, the complainant student named “goons and and lumpen elements”.As per the complaint, the accused students and outsiders disrupted the event at Malviya Gate on Sunday evening when the girls were holding nukkad nataks (street plays) and other cultural programmes to mark their struggle against hostel rules and for gender equality.“When we protested [against them for using foul language and harassing us], they got aggressive and started assaulting those present,” read the complainant by one of the students.‘Students threatened’The students alleged that they were also threatened with dire consequences. The persons named as accused were Abhay Pratap Singh, Anurag Singh, Abhishek Mishra, L.N Sharma, Shivam Dwivedi, Ashish Yadav, Samir Singh, Vishwajit Singh, Abhay Pratap and Abhay Singh.Most of them were second year and third year B.A students.Last September, girls of the BHU had led a campaign against the administration demanding a gender-just space and security for women students.